Culinary all-stars including Anne Burrell, Marcus Samuelsson and Jose Garces flock to the sun-drenched island of Barbados for the fourth annual Barbados Food & Wine and Rum Festival –the international culinary event of the season boasting the ultimate Caribbean gourmet fare. In partnership with American Express Publishing’s Travel + Leisure, Food & Wine, Departures, Executive Travel and Black Ink brands, Barbados reveals the schedule of events for the four-day epicurean extravaganza taking place from November 22 – 25, 2013. Foodies interested in attending this year’s festival can find a full schedule of events including location and ticket details at www.foodwinerum.com
Hosted by Travel + Leisure’s Features Director & Special Correspondent Nilou Motamed, the festival includes a wide variety of chef demonstrations, tasting events and seminars. Culinary masters at this year’s events include Marcus Samuelsson, Jose Garces, Anne Burrell and Aaron McCargo, Jr., Mark McEwan with master sommelier, Josh Wesson and Mount Gay Ambassador, Chesterfield Browne rounding-out the star-studded line-up. Chefs will showcase their delectable skills using special cooking techniques in intimate gatherings at some of Barbados’ leading hotels and restaurants. The festival aims to not only show travelers how to master the art of cooking and wine pairing, but also how to enjoy fine food, wine and rum all the more.
2013 Barbados Food & Wine and Rum Festival event highlights include:
- NEW to this year’s line-up is a must-visit culinary hot spot in Barbados, Oistins Night, where guests can experience local flavor and an authentic fish fry serving up a variety of seafood including the island’s native Flying Fish on Thursday, November 21st in the lively environment of Oistins Bay Gardens.
- Learn innovative culinary techniques during cooking demonstrations. Guests also have the opportunity to relish the complexities of Barbados’ legendary rum and gain expert knowledge on a range of wines with in-depth wine and rum seminars.
- What wines pair best with pancakes, eggs and bacon? Celebrate the first — and most important — meal of the day with a set of sips specially selected by waffle-and-wine expert, Joshua Wesson, at the “Breakfast of Champions” wine seminar.
- Sail the tranquil waters of the blue Caribbean aboard the Spirit of Barbados Luxury Catamaran during the festival’s Indulgence Cruise. Guests will swim with the turtles and snorkel the wrecks of Carlisle Bay to return to a savory meal and premium bar with only sun, sand and sea on the horizon.
- Renowned chef Jose Garces brings his creativity and innovative culinary style to one of the most exquisite seaside settings, The Cliff restaurant, for an evening of sumptuous cuisine, conversation, crashing waves and panoramic views of the Caribbean Sea.
- Bridgetown’s bustling restaurant scene offers hungry visitors a chance to sample Bajan cooking at its down-home best. Join street-food sommelier, Joshua Wesson for “Baxter’s Road Bottles,” as he takes a culinary stroll down Baxter’s Road in search of the best wines to pair with classic Barbados bites.
- Savor it all at Ambrosia IV, where three international guest chefs join local chefs to serve up a variety of sample-sized dishes. Guest can sample the latest fare and mingle amongst an elegant island backdrop at the Lion Castle Polo Estate.
- Explore and savor Mount Gay Rum, the oldest rum in the world, at the historic rum distillery in St. Lucy, and learn more about the brand’s 310-year rich history of rum-crafting experience at the Mount Gay Visitors Center, while enjoying a traditional Bajan lunch.
For a full schedule of events and information on purchasing tickets for the 2013 Barbados Food & Wine and Rum Festival please visit www.foodwinerum.com or www.visitbarbados.org